This past year has been quite an odd one for me and my family. It's quite a strange sensation to wake up one day and find your own little world has a range of differing reactions to you. Meeting people in town is often awkward for those that only know me from the periphery, there's an almost hesitant approach to asking what I've been up to. It's almost as if they see me as the ten year old bad boy who got caught peeing in the headmasters kettle (Sorry Mr Hunter it was only the two times). Most of the last year I've been fairly relaxed about my life. I get involved in things I'm interested in or passionate about, I do a bit of meddling, endeavours continue and we, like most other people, just pootle on.
However, the last couple of weeks have found me ever so slightly on edge, as an anniversary approached and passed. January 21st 2010 was the day that Lothian & Borders finest, DS Willie Falconer and DC Lynsay Thomson braved the frozen climes of rural Dumfriesshire to invite me to Dumfries Police station for an interview regarding possible charges of 'blackmail'. The end result was a charge of Breach of the Peace. At the time I said something along the lines of, 'it's a non charge, the PF will probably wait a year and drop it.' Periodically through the year I've asked chums of a constabular and legal bent as to the best approach. They considered that I was best off delaying any enquiry, lest I piss off the powers that really be. I opted to let it run as long as possible, the assumption being that there was some sort of statute of limitations, as we see all too often on American crime dramas. Seems not.
Last Wednesday, watching the Scottish media and the twitteratti whip themselves into writhing orgiastic fervour over the fact that a bloke who lied about shagging was going to jail for three years. I decided to bite the bullet, to avoid the possibility of biting the pillow. I contacted the Procurator Fiscal to determine whether I was to be prosecuted and faced the possibility of meeting Thomas Sheridan. esq in the pokey. Armed with my very own special crime number, I called the PF's telephone number. Going by the diction of the call operators I'd surmise that the PF's call centre is located in Drumchapel, Govan or Easterhouse, probably quite sensible really given the number of cases that emanate from those burbs. That'll be the flip side of job creation...
Anyhoo, after several attempts I got through to the pleasant and ever so slightly gruff Maggie, (I'm guessing three packs of Capstan full strength a day) who after a couple of minutes battering a keyboard told me, that the PF had decided not to proceed. Whoo agus hoo, Marky boy is not going to the pokey anytime soon. Elated at this news, I asked Maggie, when the decision not to proceed had been taken. Several seconds of keyboard bashing later and she informed me the decision was taken on August 10th 2010. That would be five and half months ago. It transpires that the the PF do not bother to contact you, they just let you sit in a fetid puddle of your own wee till you can't take it any longer and break for cover.
Genuine friends and family were delighted to hear this, there's been a sort of resigned sigh that life can go on and any memories I have of working in Scottish political life can now be consigned to the file marked, 'Wish I Hadn't Fucking Bothered'.
Saying that, I was a wee bit miffed last night after meeting a chum and was in the process of giving him the latest update, only for him to interrupt me and tell me the conclusion of my tale. "For why do you know that?" I enquired. "Oh", he replied, "Madame Beachball told me about it, not that long ago." Now due to legal codicils that allowed me to receive a dod of largesse, I'm not allowed to mention the identity of Madame Beachball. Suffice it to say I'm somewhat peeved that someone who has nothing to do with this case knows about the outcome before I do. I may have to do an FOI of the PF's office to discover why they felt they could hand that information out so freely...possibly even to people in the Scottish Parliament...
Regular visitors will have noticed my need to blawg has become much less frequent of late. Truth be told it's getting to the stage where it's as rare as Jackie Bird lifting up the Nation with a good news story on Reporting Scotland. My reasons for this are manifest, but mainly boil down to the school of I can't be arsed, and if I'm brutally honest, there's not a hell of a lot to write about that hasn't got a hundred other folks shouting 'Me Me Me, read what I've got to say about the latest intracies of the implications of...' etcetera. So in the run up to the much anticipated AV referendum oh and that wee election, the cheesey blog will probably be making like a Sloth on a spacehopper and bouncing slowly off in another direction...
In the meantime here's a little ditty from the Jaques Brel's of Bellshill, the Soup Dragons that sums up how I now feel.
Tuesday, 1 February 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Smell the cheese.
Former vile blogger Montague Burton aka Mark MacLachlan
The equally bored.
Colour me chuffed.
Thanks to everyone who made up their own mind.
BIG BLOG ARCHIVE...click on links below for OLDER POSTS
The Good, the bad and the Unionist
-
-
-
Who Am I to Judge?5 weeks ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
RANDOM THOUGHTS9 years ago
-
Merry Christmas10 years ago
-
-
A Black Country?12 years ago
-
-
-
Radical Times15 years ago
-
-
-

12 comments:
And here's me hoping you were writing a kiss and tell.
Great News Mark, now there's no need to post you that tube of Anusol, I'll have to think of something to do with it...
Send it to Jackie the Hutt her haemorrhoids are said to have their own gravitational pull.
Good news there Marky.
Conan.............Jim Devine...he's going to need it
Cheers TLOTF.
Jim Devine cuts quite a sad shambolic figure. I pity the fool.
Good news and All the best Mark!
It's been cracking fun reading your blawg.
Don't forget to post the rest of those 'soft spreads' of Dutch girls with their cheesy grins and admirable baby belles...
Great news Monty
Cheers Jim, as an avid fan of risqué cheeselettes, I'll not let you down.
Hoos agus poos Ayrshire Scot.You have spam btw...
I knew that the PF's Office didn't keep witnesses up to date, but I thought they would have kept the potential accused up to date.
I don't really know why they get away with being so rubbish. They are just another public service so why aren't they under the same pressure as the other ones are to improve performance.
It would be a pity if you stopped/slowed blogging because frankly a lot of the other ones are dead boring.
They are too full of political anoraks & people who have blinkers on. Released as you are from the constraints of conventional politics you could be a much needed maverick voice. Hint hint.
Hi Obs, thanks for your kind words. As I infer above it's odd that someone not related to the alleged offence should know about it before me. A suspicious cove might suspect some sort of informal channel for sly underhand communication was left ajar betwixt two Edinburgh institutions...
If anything I'm fickle and probably going through an unenamoured phase with what passes for political life in Scotia, particularly when contrasted with the historical change that's taking place in Tunisia, Egypt and Jordan. Too much complacency here for my liking...
At least, between you and Conan, I can still get an odd decent read.
Cheers Bugger, I didn't stay off the wagon long have a look at the poor wee John McTernan piece...
Post a Comment