Normally I've got a wee bit of time for Prof John Curtice, the amiable professor of politics at Strathyclyde Uni. Mostly because he reminds me of Prof Heinz Wolf the part sinister clown - part explainer of things scientificy/black magic that was mostly beyond my childhood ken.

However, amidst this morning's frothing and ranting at the claims of 'opportunism' and 'desperation' at the 'news' that the SNP want to include 16 and 17 year old people in the democratic process by allowing them to vote in the probable referendum. (Despite it being passed at Conference in 2007) Prof Curtice was sought out for his views by the Sunday Mail. Following a carping comment or two from professional gut wrencher Pauline McNeill, this is what we read:
http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2009/09/20/over-16s-set-to-be-allowed-to-vote-in-independence-referendum-78057-21687204/
Elections expert Professor John Curtice, of Strathclyde University, said: "I don't think this will make a difference to the outcome of the planned referendum.
"Support for independence is so far behind the SNP don't have a chance of winning."
"And I don't think many of this age group will turn up to vote."
Now colour me fucked off, but surely the 'neutral' Prof Curtice should have been proffering his academic views on the expansion of democracy, citing the historical and geographical precedents within these very isles where 16 years olds who pay taxes can also vote, rather than playing at crystal ball gazing by determining the result and promoting the lazy kneejerk reaction of teen apathy?
His entire learned view can be summed up thus.
1. It won't make a difference.
2. Ye cannae win
3. Teenagers don't care. Meh.
Now obviously the journo responsible selected these points as those which fitted the biased timbre of his article, but really Prof Curtice you should have known better.
I just hope that from now on when I see Glen Campbell parting your tweeds I can still hear a slightly discordant resonance of the following tune... :(

1 comment:
Yeh so much for being neutral. What is it with him and that straggly hair at either end of his baldy napper ? Cant he ever tidy it up ?
I think its a great idea that 16 and 17 year olds can have a chance to vote. The voting age in any election should be 16 and over but of course we will hear the inevitable double standards from the Unionists who will belt on like nits on the back of the filthy cat that the SNP are discriminating young people when it comes to drink but happily take their votes.
The SNP are certainly setting the political agenda..
I LIKE THAT MURKIN!!!! :)
Post a Comment