Mighty interesting analysis from The Economist on Norway & the latest IMF Estimates of GDP per Capita at PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) for Iceland, Ireland & Norway (2009-14)Do note that in 2014 Norway will have a PPP of $58,610.092
Ireland $42,947.457
Iceland $43,127.063
and poor old Blighty including us ungrateful Scots, will have attained a grand total of $38,807.832
Page 52 of the Economist has the following.
"The economy is in good shape. Unemployment, at 3%, is the lowest in Europe.
"Norway has bounced back from the mild recession it suffered in the early months of this year. It is expected to grow by 2% next year.
"The $400 billion wealth fund that holds surplus revenues from North Sea oil and gas exports, turning petrodollars into hoard of stocks and bonds , naturally took a hit in the market slump but is still worth some $85,000 per citizen.
"The Norwegians are a contented bunch. Bergen reveals handsome, well-fed citizens who work in designer offices or high tech fishing vessels, relax in art galleries and theatres and enjoy pristine scenery. Education is free and health care is heavily subsidised."
Now what was that about an Arc of Insolvency?
5 comments:
I swing bewteen admiration for what Norway has achieved and despair at the decades of lost opportunities that a certain other northern European country could be grasping with the full levers of independence
http://www.snp.org/node/15691
Ah'm wae Cruachan - admiration and despair.
This is the sort of info that i wish our papers would publish and then people will start to see the light.
I might have to include some of your stats murk on my myth busting rants. Good figures and ppp using the per capita is a good method rather than total NET GDP as top line and comparing.
Good work Murk.
Det er enkelt å bu i Noreg.
As one of the handsome, well-fed Bergensers, I'd like to thank you for reminding me of how good I have it here.
And Murphy continues just as if he hadn't slandered the countries of the Arc of Prosperity.
Why would he care. It seemed like a brilliant put down at the time and doubtless was applauded by the the great unwashed at Labour Party headquarters.
The fact that it was a pile of B*****ks wouldn't occur to him, or any of his listeners.
It is with great shame that I admit that I often fleetingly ponder on the pointless notion of how I wish I had been born on the other side of the North Sea.
Post a Comment